Travelers heading to Mexico this winter or for spring break ought to take warning or, in some situations, think about canceling their journey. The U.S. State Department has journey advisories in place for all however two Mexican states. Six Mexican states are beneath essentially the most extreme stage 4 “do not travel” advisory.
Rather than situation a blanket journey warning for the complete nation, the U.S. Department of State assesses the danger stage of every of Mexico’s 32 states and points a separate advisory for every state. The warnings are based mostly on the menace stage to U.S. residents, together with authorities staff, expats, digital nomads, and vacationers.
Why Are There Travel Warnings In Mexico?
Travel warnings will be issued for any variety of causes, however in Mexico’s occasion, it is because of an elevated threat of violent crime. According to the State Department’s warning, murder, kidnapping, carjacking, and theft is presently widespread in Mexico. Additionally, the U.S. authorities and native authorities have restricted capability to assist Americans who want help in sure areas.
Recent incidents have included violence that erupted within the state of Sinaloa and an ongoing dispute between Uber and taxi drivers that has turn out to be aggressive in Cancun. While violence and kidnappings are usually not focused towards vacationers, there have been incidents the place harmless bystanders have been injured or killed throughout altercations.
What Does The Travel Warning Mean?
The U.S. authorities has urged Americans to obey the identical restrictions they’ve positioned on U.S. authorities staff in Mexico. Specifically, U.S. authorities staff are suggested to:
- Avoid journey between cities after darkish
- Avoid hailing taxis on the road
- Do not journey alone, particularly in distant areas
- Do not drive from the U.S. – Mexico border to inside elements of the nation, with just a few exceptions
Additionally, there are precautions vacationers can take to scale back their threat of hazard whereas visiting Mexico. Specifically, all guests ought to enroll within the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program and inform household again dwelling of their plans. Travelers must also keep away from displaying apparent indicators of wealth and be additional cautious when visiting ATMs or banks.
Top 5 Travel Insurance Plans For 2023 Starting At $10 Per Week
What To Do If You Need Help In Mexico?
If you do end up needing help whereas visiting Mexico, you’ll be able to name for assist by dialing 911. Inform native authorities of any points and file a Mexican police report if wanted. Additionally, U.S. residents must also contact the U.S. Embassy or the closest consulate if assist is required. The embassy may help discover medical care, present a listing of native attorneys, and assist organize lodging and flights dwelling within the case of an emergency.
Which Mexican Locations Have A Travel Warning?
Six Mexican states presently have a stage 4 “do not travel” warning, and 7 states are beneath a stage 3 “reconsider travel” advisory. All however 2 of the remaining states are beneath a stage 2 advisory the place vacationers ought to “exercise increased caution”. The solely 2 areas with no present advisory are Campeche and Yucatan. That signifies that most of Mexico’s common vacationer locations are presently beneath advisory. Below is a listing of the advisories, together with common vacationer locations inside that state.
Level 4 – Do Not Travel
- Colima – Colima City, Manzanillo, Comala
- Guerrero – Ixtapa, Zihuatanejo, Taxco, Grutas de Cacahuamilpa National Park, Acapulco, Mil Cascades Waterfalls
- Michoacan – Morelia, Patzcuaro
- Sinaloa – Mazatlan, Culiacan
- Tamaulipas – El Cielo Biosphere
- Zacatecas – Zacatecas City
Level 3 – Reconsider Travel
- Baja California –Tijuana, Ensenada
- Chihuahua – Chihuahua City, Copper Canyon
- Durango –Mapimí Biosphere Reserve
- Guanajuato – Guanajuato City, San Miguel de Allende, Canada de la Virgen Ruins
- Jalisco – Puerto Vallarta, Guadalajara, Tequila, Ajijic, San Sebastián del Oeste
- Morelos – Tepoztlan, Las Estacas National Park, Xochicalco Ruins
- Sonora – El Pinacate Biosphere Reserve
Level 2 – Exercise Increased Caution
- Aguascalientes – Aguascalientes City
- Baja California Sur – Los Cabos, La Paz
- Chiapas – San Cristobal del las Casas, Palenque Ruins, Montebello Lagoons
- Hidalgo – Grutas de Tolantongo, Tollan Ruins, Huasca de Ocampo (Basaltic Prisims)
- Mexico City – Mexico City
- Mexico state – Mesoamerican Teotihuacan, Cuauhtinchan Archeological Zone
- Nayarit – Sayulita, Punta Mita, Nuevo Vallarta, San Pancho, San Blas
- Nuevo Leon
- Oaxaca – Oaxaca City, Puerto Escondido, San Jose del Pacifico
- Puebla – Puebla City, Cholula, Pico de Orzaba
- Queretaro – Queretaro City, Sierra Gorda UNESCO Biosphere Reserve
- Quintana Roo – Cancun, Playa del Carmen, Tulum, Cozumel
- San Luis Potosi – Huasteca Potosina, Xilitla Surrealist Gardens
- Tlaxcala – Cacaxtla Archaeological Site, Huamantla
Is It Safe To Visit Mexico Right Now?
Each traveler must assess their very own vulnerability and luxury stage earlier than deciding if they need to journey to Mexico proper now. Generally, if one stays in vacationer areas and takes the really helpful precautions, their threat of coming into contact with violence and crime is minimal. However, it’s at all times necessary to remember and ready no matter the place you’re touring.
Traveler Alert: Don’t Forget Travel Insurance For Your Next Trip!
↓ Join Our Community ↓
The Travel Off Path Community FB group has all the newest reopening information, conversations, and Q&A’s taking place every day!
SUBSCRIBE TO OUR LATEST POSTS
Enter your e-mail handle to subscribe to Travel Off Path’s newest breaking journey information, straight to your inbox
This article initially appeared on TravelOffPath.com