With over 3,400 years of historical past to find, Athens is a treasure trove for historical past buffs.
But additionally it is a contemporary metropolis filled with hip neighborhoods, improbable eateries, and a vibrant tradition to discover.
And whereas many vacationers overlook the massive metropolis on their strategy to the Greek Islands, Athens is properly price a go to by itself.
But earlier than setting off to Athens, there are some things you want to bear in mind. In this submit, we’ll cowl every little thing you want to learn about touring to Athens, together with:
- What are the prices for vacationers?
- Things to learn about tradition and etiquette
- What are the highest points of interest?
- How protected is it?
- Local meals and drinks
- How good is the WiFi?
- How lengthy are you able to keep?
Ready? Here are the highest 7 issues you want to know earlier than visiting Athens:
Did you already know… Athens has many lovely seashores to discover, which regularly get ignored for the extra well-liked sands of the Greek Islands. The Athens Riviera has a number of heat, clear, and accessible seashores, a number of of which will be reached in round half-hour.
1) Athens Affordability
While Greece’s rise in recognition coupled with inflation has elevated some journey prices, there may be nonetheless nice worth to be discovered within the metropolis.
The foreign money in Greece is the Euro. The present trade price is €1 EUR = $1.07 USD, and $1 USD = €0.93 EUR.
Here are the typical prices for vacationers in USD:
- Average lodge worth: One evening at a 3-star lodge sometimes prices round $100, or $150 for a 4-star lodge.
- Luxury 5-star resorts: You can discover luxurious 5-star resorts for round $250 an evening in Athens, though there are costlier choices if you wish to indulge – just like the Elia Ermou Hotel, the place rooms begin at $600 and suites are sometimes over $1000 per evening.
- If you’re on a funds: Athens has loads of reasonably priced hostels and B&Bs to select from. If you intend forward, you possibly can normally discover a non-public ensuite room for lower than $100/evening, or a mattress in a shared room for round $25.
- A 3-course meal at a mid-range restaurant for 2 prices round $50.
- For a low-cost meal at a cheap restaurant, anticipate to pay round $12.
- A beer prices between $4-$5, whereas a cappuccino is about $4.
- Getting round Athens on public transportation is a good choice. The metropolis’s subway, tram, bus, and prepare community is reasonably priced and environment friendly. 90-minute tickets are $1.30, or you should purchase a one-day go for $4.40, or a 5-day go for $8.84. Alternatively, for $21.50, vacationers should purchase a 3-day go that features journey to and from the airport along with limitless journey on public transit.
- If you wish to cycle round Athens, bike leases are sometimes round $12 per day.
- Taxi fares begin at $1.40, and value an extra $1.38 per mile. Between midnight and 5 am, the worth per mile is sort of double. The well-liked rideshare app is BEAT and infrequently has higher charges.
2) Culture And Etiquette In Athens
The Greeks are recognized for his or her hospitality, and vacationers will encounter pleasant faces even within the bustling metropolis of Athens.
Check this listing earlier than your journey! Here are among the main Dos and Don’ts in Athens.
- DO shake fingers: when assembly somebody for the primary time, keep eye contact whereas shaking fingers. If somebody goes in for a kiss, you must oblige. It is widespread to greet others in Athens with a kiss on every cheek.
- DON’T put bathroom paper in the bathroom: use the trash bins supplied subsequent to the bathroom – town’s sewage system can’t deal with it.
- DO study some Greek: whereas most individuals in Athens communicate some English, understanding a couple of key phrases in Greek will go a good distance. Hello (yia sas) and thanks (efharisto) are good beginning factors.
- DON’T overlook to go away a tip: 10% – 15% is customary at eating places and cafes. If you’re tipping a taxi driver, spherical up or add a couple of additional euros.
3) Top Attractions in Athens
Athens is filled with incredible things to discover. Here are a couple of of the highest issues to see and do whereas exploring town:
- Acropolis – an historical citadel containing the ruins of the Parthenon, the Temple of Zeus, and different historic buildings which have been proudly perched on a hill above town for the reason that 4th century B.C.E.
- National Archaeological Museum – Greece’s largest museum with 11,000 displays that includes artifacts from the start of Greek civilization.
- Mount Lycabettus – this 900-foot hill is the best level in Athens and provides nice views of town and the Acropolis. Visitors can stroll up the hill or take a funicular in the event that they wish to give their toes a relaxation.
4) How Safe Is It For Tourists?
Athens is a protected and welcoming vacation spot for vacationers. However, there are nonetheless some issues that vacationers ought to be mindful to remain protected throughout their go to:
- Beware of thieves: pickpocketing is quite common in Athens, particularly on the subway, so hold your cash and valuables someplace protected.
- Watch out for scammers: Taxi drivers have been recognized to benefit from vacationers. Make certain you utilize a good firm or order a taxi by way of the BEAT app.
- Research your neighborhood: some neighborhoods exterior the vacationer areas have the next price of crime. In explicit, Omonia and Exarchia will be unsafe at evening.
- DO get journey insurance coverage: Travel insurance may help in well being emergencies in addition to with masking the prices of any journey mishaps throughout your Athens journey. For 5 nice choices, read more here.
5) Local Eats And Drinks
One of one of the best components of journey is trying out the native delicacies, and Athens is a improbable place to attempt new meals. Don’t let your self go away with out attempting at the very least one of many following:
Food in Greece is understood for being recent and flavorful. Here are a few of our favourite dishes:
- Tzatziki – a brightly flavored dip made with Greek yogurt, cucumber, garlic, lemon, and recent herbs
- Souvlaki – grilled, skewered bites of meat, eaten straight or served with potatoes and pita
- Spanakopita – a savory pastry of spinach, herbs, and feta cheese encased in flaky phyllo dough
- Loukoumades – one of many oldest pastries on this planet, Loukoumades are small balls of dough dunked in honey syrup and sprinkled with toppings together with cinnamon, sesame seeds, and chocolate
- Ouzo – an anise-flavored liquor well-liked all through Greece
- Frappé – sweetened immediate espresso blended with milk and ice and generally topped with whipped cream
- Beer – well-liked manufacturers embrace Fix and Mythos, however there are additionally loads of craft beers to attempt, many made with native components
6) How’s the WiFi?
Using Ookla, an web pace testing service, the typical web speeds in Athens for February 2023 have been 50.80mbps obtain and 13.79mbps add.
7) How Long Can I Stay?
U.S. Citizens touring to Greece can keep as much as 90 days inside a 180-day interval with out a visa. Travelers who want to keep longer can apply for an extension or benefit from Greece’s new Digital Nomad Visa in the event that they meet all necessities, together with a month-to-month earnings of at the very least $3,777 monthly.
Traveler Alert: Don’t Forget Travel Insurance For Your Next Trip!
↓ Join Our Community ↓
The Travel Off Path Community FB group has all the newest reopening information, conversations, and Q&A’s occurring day by day!
SUBSCRIBE TO OUR LATEST POSTS
Enter your e-mail tackle to subscribe to Travel Off Path’s newest breaking journey information, straight to your inbox
This article initially appeared on TravelOffPath.com